by Sean Elliston, P.E.
Addressing the needs of Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) is receiving increased attention. The outdoor air brought into the building comes with a cost, and enthalpy wheels provide a solution by exchanging the energy between the building’s exhaust air and incoming outdoor air.
BENEFITS= LOW COST, BIG ENERGY SAVINGS!
- Reduces peak electrical demand and energy consumption.
- 3-6 years of payback or potential for instant payback.
- Conserve energy, preserve cooling and heating.
- Reduces both summer and winter peak building loads and provides savings year-round.
- Enthalpy wheel’s installation and design allow easy access for cleaning, which minimizes maintenances costs.
Enthalpy Wheels in a Learning Environment
- The outside air load dominates the classroom design cooling lad.
- Enthalpy effectiveness 70-80%
- Enthalpy wheels mitigate the energy operating cost increase generated from an outdoor air rate